Sunday, December 25, 2011

"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." [Norman Vincent Peale]

It is nearly 10 am on Christmas morning, and I am the only one awake. I am reveling in the short time I have alone to reflect before the chaos begins again. I have had a wonderful few days home...here are some of the highlights. 
The ornament I made for my compassion child, Dado, who lives in Togo, Africa. "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble." 
1 Peter 3:8

...Dinner at the Hetrick's, I always feel so happy and at home when I am there. Plus the delicious pesto and salads are pretty great too. 
...Having my first walnut burger at Harmony since this summer. And sharing it with Jamie, Garrett, and Jenna. 
...Celebrating Chanukkah with the Buss and Sherman families. My first experience with latkes, this particular Jewish holiday, and the craziness of their gift giving. I even received a few presents, including a beautiful bracelet from the Buss family!
...The gift exchange with my friends; I love how perfect everyone's gifts were for each other, it just goes to show how close we are. Plus I got a rockin' sweater (which I am currently wearing), a metal travel mug (which I desperately needed) and a Starbuck's gift card (which is always appreciated).
...Shopping with my brother. Even though it took us hours to find everything we needed in Festival, and I actually had to drive him to buy one of my presents, while he spilled the beans about my other present, it was a really great bonding experience, and it was so good to spend time with him. 
...Playing nertz with Mrs. Hetrick, Austin, Molly, Adam, Jill, Jenna, Olav, Jamie, and Garrett. It was absolutely hilarious and chaotic, and I love my partner Garrett, and our killer team, the Alaskan State Troopers. 
...The worship music at the Christmas eve service. It is so good to sing about the true meaning of Christmas. So many Christmas songs now are about the sights and sounds of Christmas, and the songs that really touch on the birth of Christ are lost. Ending with a candlelight "Silent Night" was the perfect way to close the service. 
...Just being with the three other wonderful members of my family. "The Funny One," "The Fit One," and "The Beautiful One" just make everything so hilarious and I love being around them all once again. 


The time I've spent at home has basically been filled with great food, gift giving, and a sense of love and belonging. I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas, or Chanukkah, or Sunday and are surrounded by those you love. It is truly the greatest blessing during the holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...