Tuesday, October 25, 2011

[Live Simply November: Goals and Guidelines]

As promised, one week before Live Simply November begins, I am posting my final Goals and Guidelines. 

Before I get started, I think it would be a good idea to list the reasons I've decided to take on this challenge, so that those who think I'm just crazy can get a better idea of where I'm coming from. The first reason is that I want a challenge. I like challenges, I've done no facebook months 3 times before, and my vegetarianism started out as a one-month challenge. I want to learn something about myself or something about the things we "treasure" today in society. I am excited to have less distractions. I think it'll be somewhat easier to get my homework done with no facebook, to say hi to people on campus with no ipod, and to focus more clearly on God without all of these distractions. I also want to be less attention-deficit. I can usually focus on something for about six minutes before I check facebook, text, or pick a new artist to listen to. I want to be more intentional about the things I do, actually sitting down and accomplishing a task and not getting sidetracked by all of these distractions. The last reason I'm trying this challenge is to practice what I preach. I always rant and rave about how much I love Thoreau's philosophies, but I don't always put them into practice. Also, the title of this blog is "A Simple and Sincere Account" and I just want to make sure I'm living simply. 

Goals:
-Read my bible daily
-Blog/write daily
-Read through Walden by Thoreau
-Write 1 letter/week

Guidelines: 
-No texting(if someone texts me I have to call them back)
-No ipod
-No TV(live or on the computer... this means you modern family!)
-No movies, except in social situations(this way I don't substitute movies for TV watching)
-No beauty products(I can still shower, shave, etc, I just can't use perfume, makeup, hair product, or hair dryer/straightener/curling iron)
-No spending except for bills and $2/week for laundry
-30 Items of clothing(see this post for details!)
-Computer use for: homework, email, blogging, bank accounts, UWEC accounts only(no weather, facebook, youtube, itunes, pandora, news, google, skype, etc.)
-Only one of the following: waterbottle, washcloth, towel, hand towel, spoon, bowl, fork, travel mug

Before: Jewlery Box After: Bible, Journal, Walden, Envelopes

Before & After
Before & After
Chalkboard for the Month!

I'm extremely excited and nervous to start this challenge and to see what I will learn. As of now, the things I'm most worried about are no texting, no ipod, and no make up, so we'll see if that changes. I appreciate all forms of encouragement, whether it's a comment on the blog, an email, a letter, or even a text(I can read, just not respond) it would be a huge support. So, with 7 days left on the ticker, I'm getting pretty pumped about this challenge!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...