Monday, October 10, 2011

[Thoughts]

This is sorta what studying looks like...

So when I went to college A LOT of things changed. There are somethings that I was expecting to change that didn't and some things I really didn't think would change actually did. So here's a list! As always the list is in no particular order and in varying levels of seriousness.

List #1: Things I thought about college that turned out to be false. 

Myth: Everybody forgets what jeans are and wears their hair in a ponytail everyday. 
Truth: I still strive to create outfits, get in my "six items" and although the girls on my wing sometimes call me a fashionista, there are actually a lot of people who put some effort into looking nice everyday. 

Myth: Everyone is soooo drunk allll the time. 
Truth: I found multiple groups of friends in which no one drinks regularly. This has made such a huge difference, and it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to find. 

Myth: In college, everyone goes to bed after 1 am. 
Truth: Quiet hours start at 10, and a lot of people head to bed shortly after, especially if they have 8 am classes. I myself usually stay up until 12 or 1, but that's because my earliest class is 10. 

Myth: No one eats breakfast in college. 
Truth: I do. Lots of people do. We have unlimited access to the caf, so why not take advantage of it and eat some eggs in the morning?

Myth: When you go to college. you get fat!
Truth: I actually lost weight my first month here, and I've actually started to work out with some of my friends, so I don't really see that coming in the near future. 

List #2: Things I thought would NEVER happen to me in college, but they actually did. 

Truth: You will be broke in college. I thought I had SOOO much money saved up, and then I'd get a job, and everything would be normal! FALSE. It was hard to get a job in the first place, and then my first paycheck wasn't until October. I have been budgeting my money and watching what I spend very closely so I don't run out, but I do have to cut out all of the luxuries I used to enjoy. Plus now I have to pay for things like laundry and kleenex. 

Truth: You will do more studying in college. I had a Poli Sci test today and I spent more time studying for this than any final I took in high school. 

Truth: You will make friends quickly because everyone is really friendly. I was really worried about connecting with people here, but I can belly laugh with these guys just as much as my old friends. I love my roommate and how we can share our days together, be terrified of the bugs in our window, and laugh when I tip over my desk chair. 

Truth: You will become more frugal. I keep a weekly budget and I try SO HARD to stick to it. I don't let myself go shopping unless its something I really need. I've gotten a few coffees in social situations, but those are worth it for the company I see. 

Truth: You will miss your old friends, but it will be okay. I thought I'd DIE without my old friends, or be glad to ditch some of them, but in reality I miss all of them. I am happy I'm here and I'm really satisfied with the friends I've made, but I do miss my high school friends. What I really love though, is seeing those friends doing so well in college and really following their dreams and passions. We are all defining our true identities and I'm so excited for us to be back together again and share everything we've learned and become.

This is a long enough list I believe, for now, and I am excited to possibly continue it! I really enjoyed making this list and reflecting on my first month at college. 

1 comment:

  1. This list was so cool, Becca! It will be fun to see you down here again sometime. I have a fun little story for you today; I saw Bill, and he didn't even remember who any of us were. I told him that he asked for your number like 30 times, and the other kids in his lounge started laughing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...