Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 22

My birthday is February 22; last Wednesday I got to celebrate. I had been dreading that day months in advance, instead of a bright spot in my mind, February 22nd was a day to be avoided at all costs. It's not that I dreaded the attention that a birthday brings, nor was I worried about turning 19, but instead, I was afraid of the memories. 


Last year, on February 22, I got a phone call from my mom during rehearsal. She broke it to me as nicely as she could that my dad was in the hospital and that we wouldn't be celebrating my birthday quite the same that night. My dad was dying of Kidney cancer and on February 22, it was the beginning of the end of his life. When he went into the hospital that day, he was from then on hospitalized or in at-home care until he died on March 25. 


That night I went home, disappointment, worry, and fear filling my heart. My mom and I mustered up as much joy as possible as I opened my presents. Then we ate Panera for dinner before heading to the hospital. My dad was asleep almost the whole time we were there. Finally, right before we left, he managed to wake up enough to recognize me and wish me a happy 18th birthday. It was probably the best happy birthday I'd ever gotten.


So it is understandable that I don't have the happiest memories associated with my birthday. I wanted this one to pass without acknowledgment and without celebration. But my friends and family wouldn't let that happen. Instead, they gave me the happiest, most celebratory, and probably one of the best birthdays of my life. 



Highlights include...
...getting my ear pierced, compliments of Bitty, Lauren, and Meeghan. 
...going to Texas roadhouse with the same, plus D-Man.
...a workout bag and chocolate from the roomie.
...care packages from Jillian and Sarah!
...cards from my grandma, aunt & uncle, and two sisters. 
...a huge box from my mom, filled with hellium balloons that floated up to the ceiling when I opened it. I've always wanted to do this but I never have! I also got a watch and some cocoa almonds (d-to-the-licious!).
...a heartfelt card from D-man.
...various text messages and happy birthdays from everyone
...an elephant teapot from Rachel!



It means so much to me that everyone I love in my life was there for me and celebrating with me. I can't express how much love and joy I feel for all of my friends and family. This was definitely a birthday to remember. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...