Sunday, January 1, 2012

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” [Eleanor Roosevelt]

Happy 2012 Everyone!


I can't believe how quickly this new year came. I feel unprepared in a way, like staring fresh is almost an overwhelming prospect. I stare at my room and all I see is chaos and disarray. I think of my dorm and how full it is, and how I can't create order there because I'm here. I think of my relationships and how messy those have become, trying to balance friends from high school with friends from college and at the same time still corresponding with those long-distance friends I've always tried to keep a priority. I see my bible, untouched for almost a week now, and my journal, rarely written in. And those new running shorts lying over there by my shoes? They still have the tags on them. So I will do this. I will make goals. I do need to cut myself some slack, I've had 6 solid days of holiday celebrations, not to mention 4 days of the flu, so I haven't had much time to just pick my life up and put it in order. But I do think it is important to make goals to bring in the new year. 


My 2012 Goals (adapted from here)


Spiritual - Read my bible at least 5x/week
Mental - Read 10 books. I barely read in 2011, and although 10 books seems minimal, it will be quite a step up from the 6 I read in 2011, 4 of which were for school. 
Relational - This was the hardest one to think of a measurable goal. I know that I want more intentional/meaningful conversations in my relationships, and I think there are two important things that need to happen in order to accomplish this. 1. I need to be open and willing to share if I expect others to share. 2. I need to listen. I struggle with this so much, but I need to really focus on the person and conversation at hand and truly listen to that person and tune in to them. 
Physical - Run a 5K and finish it. I am running one in March and I suppose if I don't accomplish my goal I will have to try again!
Professional - Get a job this summer that fulfills the following: 1. Is not lifeguarding at the YMCA 2. Allows me to travel for at least 1 week.
Financial - Stick to my weekly budget and begin saving for a camera. 

1 comment:

  1. these sound like good goals. and get me thinking more about mine and things that i want for the new year. i can't wait to see you and make nummy granola. <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...