Monday, June 6, 2011

[Italy Day Three: Rome]

             [day one] [day two] [day four] [day five] [day six] [day seven] [day eight] [reflection]


 The Colosseum, me, Danielle, and Jackie at the Monument of Italy, me and Danielle holding our delicious sandwiches, the choir in St. Peters after Mass. 

Today we take a tour of historical Rome. This includes the Colosseum and the Roman Forum as well as the Monument to Victor Emmanuel II. We have amazing sandwiches made with grilled eggplant, zucchini  cheese, and "rocket salad"(arugula). I have my first bargaining experience and come away with three scarves. 
After a morning in the city, we head back to our hotel to try and muster up matching clothes for us to wear to the Vatican for our performance. It is difficult because our luggage is missing. We go to St. Peter's and have the amazing opportunity to sing during mass. Not many people at the mass, but it is a wonderful experience singing in the basilica. I miss my father who has seen this beauty and has walked these streets. I let the tears fall silently as we sing and as we leave St. Peter's. 
We walk to dinner at a local restaurant and sing "La Sera" on the way, Ryan stopping to bring a smile to an Italian woman's face, handing her a flower as the rest of us skip by. 
Mara and I sit at the guy's table, it is nice just listening and talking to a different group of people. We talk like men, eat like men, and even use the men's bathroom(okay, this was an accident), and we even do "bow me" after getting unofficially inducted by Ryan. 
After dinner we go back to the hotel and have a rehearsal and talk about the day. I cry again when we talk of the beauty and power of St. Peter's. Before bed check, a group of us ventures out onto the roof. The elevated view of this incredible city is breathtaking. 
Soon, we head back to our room for much needed sleep. I have clean clothes and finally my own toothbrush because our luggage came this evening. I am excited for breakfast in the morning with café and croissants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...